Tuesday, March 21, 2006

More Web 2.0

I recently listened to the podcast which addressed David Warlick's Telling a New Story. Wesley Freyer gathered a group of educators to discuss the notion of telling a new story. Today I listened to Bob Sprankle's response. He talks about education constantly reinventing itself.

He talks about how the new tools (blogs, podcasts) provide teachers with ways to learn and share information. The conversation can now take hold. Collaboration is possible on a global level. The isolationism is gone - teachers can enter into the discussion. In blogs and podcasts teachers are reflecting on best practices in a public way. Everyone can get in on the discussion. Like Bob Sprankle, I feel I have been able to receive incredible professional development through these and other new tools. I admit to being a blog adict (not writing as much as I feel I should, but reading). I have my favourites who I read daily and others which I sample occasionaly. The wonderful thing is how it keeps me thinking and reflecting on educational practice

Maine sounds like a great place to teach. Bob Sprankle talked about how in training for the laptop program, teachers were interested in how they would change pedagogy. The laptops were only the tool.

In both podcasts, there was a lot of talk about pedagogy. The web 2.0 only provides tools to
  • help students create a purpose for their learning
  • allow for reflection and assessment of learning
  • build community
  • continue the conversation
It is a vehicle for networking. Listen to these podcasts. They'll get your mind working.

Categories: , ,

1 comment:

  1. Great post Susan. I too am a constructivist thinker, facilitator and guide. Maine is a great place to teach. We have our guiding principles which lead our standards. Lately, I have been focusing on the guiding principles while designing lessons because they are more 21st century and less about the discrete skills. Not that we are not teaching the discrete skills,we are, but the vision is bigger! By using the guiding principles I can incorporate Internet Safety, Internet Ethics, and reasons why our comments are not anonymous when we post on the Internet. If I were only responsible for discrete skills the above topics would not have been touched upon since they are not part of a curriculum yet. Web 2.0 has made a huge difference on how I provide for instruction and an especially huge difference on how my students construct their knowledge and projects afterwards. Cheryl Oakes, Wells Elementary School, ME.

    ReplyDelete